Wednesday, December 17, 2008

WFMW: A little grass roots campaigning...PART 2

In this post, I talked about how the Consumer Products Safety Improvement Act is going to shut down my shop and many others on Etsy (and elsewhere) who sell children's products because of some misguided lead testing requirements. Many of us have long said that those who make the paint, fabric, snaps, clips, or whatever other raw material should be responsible for the lead-testing, not those of us who take those materials and craft them into a finished product. Well, here's what's happened according to Fashion Incubator:

"If you are on the CPSC listserve, you likely already know this too. If not, it would appear all of your emails have had an effect. I’d been waiting for this rumor to bear fruition since last week. Apparently the the US Consumer Product Safety Commission’s web page on the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of 2008 has been updated with a request for comments (pdf). Please contribute your information in an attempt to modify the regulations as they exist for mandatory third-party testing. The deadline to contribute is January 30, 2009."

So, what works for me? E-mailing the CPSC, that's what!

Want to help raise awareness? Grab the "Save Handmade" button from Cool Mom Picks' Save Handmade page.

For more Works for Me Wednesday, head on over to Rocks in My Dryer.

P.S. Due to our icy roads, my Christmas Tour of Homes giveaway for a pair of my Ladybug Limited hair clips is still going on here. I'll draw a name as soon as I can get to the Post Office so enter today!

No comments:

Post a Comment