Tuesday, June 23, 2009

30 Pounds of Strawberries & 2.5 hours

Before:After:In case you ever have use for this piece of trivia, a 30-pound pail of sliced strawberries will yield 13 jars of freezer jam, 15 quarts of sliced strawberries, and 1 bowl left for fresh eating on top of pancakes for dinner. As for the 2.5 hours, I promise it goes fast when you don't cook any of the berries or process the jars as I am certainly no kitchen wizard.

(Oh, and this bounty was after the 9 pounds the kiddos picked last week at Twedt's which yielded 12 jars of freezer jam and 2 bowls for fresh eating...)

If you're curious about the specifics, I used this pectin from Bi-Mart, which only required a cup and a half of sugar for every 4 cups of crushed berries for no-cook freezer jam. For the sliced berries, I mixed in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1/3 cup of sugar for each quart before freezing-- there's no other liquid added because the berries were just that juicy! Ask me in a couple of months if I would change the amounts of lemon juice and sugar-- I couldn't find any sites that took into account the juiciness and softness of Oregon berries!

2 comments: