Saturday, August 8, 2009

Book Bag: August 8

I am in the midst of packing for our 3000-mile road trip that begins less than 24 hours from now, so this week's Book Bag is a super-quick post of 1 pick from each of us:Mugger's pick would have to be Sergio Makes a Splash! by Edel Rodriguez, the tale of a penguin who loves water, as long as it's not too-deep. A class swimming trip forces Sergio to face his fears. We all loved reading this one aloud together, and I loved the restricted color scheme of aqua and orange.Bug's pick of the week would be The Princess and the Pea by Lauren Child. This smart little tale defines a "real" princess, and she's not the air-headed beauty of traditional tales. The retelling was delightful, though a bit wordy for a 3.5 year old-- I loved it at least. What Bug really liked were all the dollhouse-scale photos. The 12 mattresses are not to be missed and will surely serve as an inspiration!My pick for this week is Laurel Snyder's delightful new novel, Any Which Wall. I've mentioned before my love for Laurel Snyder's work, and this one certainly did not disappoint. Written in the style of Edward Eager's Magic books that I discovered earlier this summer, Snyder has created a fitting tribute that may be, dare I say, superior to Eager's work, at least for modern readers who like smart and snappy prose. Any Which Wall deals with 4 children and their discovery of "common magic" after they happen on a wall in the middle of a field. Any reader who has ever wished that they could find a door to Narnia or travel in a time machine will love this gem by Snyder. Perhaps if we are so lucky, she will write several more as Eager did!

That's it for this week. I don't know if we'll have any Book Bag posts from the road or not. I'm still hoping to get up my post for making homemade yogurt (easy!) and my report card for my freshman year as a stay-at-home mom, but we'll just see what our travels bring. Oh, and sorry about the hole in the left sidebar-- my Etsy shop is in vacation mode during our travels, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment