Wednesday, December 10, 2008

WFMW: A little grass roots campaigning...

I hesitate to file this under "Works for Me Wednesday" because I don't know how all this will turn out yet. But a little background first...

In case you didn't know, in my spare time, I sell hair accessories and just recently opened my Etsy shop. However, my fledgling business and all the other shops selling handmade children's products are in danger! The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act has been passed and as of February 10, 2009, all of us selling handmade children's products will have to shut down because of the prohibitive costs associated with lead testing and third-party certification.

I'm all for no lead in children's products, but seeing as how this has been a made-in-China problem and this legislation does nothing to address products from China, I would urge you to take action! If you'd like some more info written for consumers, please start with this post over at The Smart Mama. Cool Mom Picks also had a very good post up about this yesterday with a checklist of how we can all be involved.

And, yes, I'm the Diana mentioned in the "Edited to add..." on CMP's post. I think it's important for everyone to realize that this affects ALL children's products: toys, clothing, ANYTHING intended for kids 12 and under, so I spent my evening e-mailing a lot of my favorite blogs and websites about this. So far I've contacted Z Recommends, Rocks in My Dryer, Thingamababy, Northwest Mom Finds, Goody Blog, and 5 Minutes for Mom.

Taking action with a little grass roots campaigning Works For Me. What will you do?

For more WFMW posts, head on over to today's post at Rocks in My Dryer...

1 comment: