Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Moms for Modesty

So if you've read this post (or this one or this one), then you probably already know that how I dress my daughter is a big issue for me. Being that she's only 2, I don't usually have to worry about her clothing being too revealing (yet), but I do take issue with all the "Princess" and other self-important slogans that seem to be everywhere on kids' t-shirts these days, especially on toddler girls' tees. Given this, I was pleasantly surprised to find the Moms for Modesty Mission Statement today. Here it is:
Moms for Modesty Mission Statement
  • As a Mom for Modesty I believe in common-sense modesty for girls and young women.
  • I believe in refraining from sexualizing our girls and young women.
  • I believe that it is unwise and unfair to taunt boys and young men by permitting my daughter(s) to dress in an immodest manner.
  • I believe that true beauty comes from within and I strive to teach my daughter(s) this truth.
  • I will loyally shop at retailers that provide girls' and young womens clothing that is modest, affordable and stylish.
I plan on heading over to sign it as soon as I post this. How about you? And if you have any great retailers who match Statement 5, I'd love to hear about them. So far my approach has been to frequent the usual retailers and just be very choosy about what I buy, but if there are retailers who have made this their specific mission, I'd love to support them with my dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment